If I make my bed in Sheol, You are there

The most precious thing I have ever received is the grace of God.

He tells me over and over again that I am Hannah Grace, he shows me grace; grace upon grace. He did not just show me grace as a one-time act when he died a brutal death for me on a cross. Yet even if that was the only time he showed me grace, it would be enough for me to bow down on my face and worship him out of complete reverence & thanksgiving. The crazy thing is, his grace does not stop there. That is what baffles my mind. He gives me more grace. Every. Single. Day.
I love Psalm 139. David expresses how intricately the Lord knows us. David states, “You have searched me and known me!.. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it all together…”

The part of the psalm that really blows my mind is when David says, “If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!” When I read that, I think, boy! How many times have I literally made my bed in hell and camped out there for a while because I had a bad attitude, was being selfish, and totally not acting like a precious daughter of God. Way too many times. Instances come to my mind where I have pouted with where the Lord was leading me. Most recently, all semester I have pouted about how difficult nursing school is, & why the Lord did not lead me to a christian college. I could go on about so many other moments where I have acted far from Christ-like, and by doing so, literally bathed in my sin, then made my bed in hell and slept there. I got comfortable relaxing in a place that is so far from God. For that, I am so sorry, Lord.

And yet, the scripture says, “If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.” Wait, what?
You mean to tell me that when I am a pouty, selfish, untrusting, unfaithful, little girl, the Lord follows me there too? He just is not with me when I am making him proud, but he is with me when I am “failing” miserably in trusting the Lord. That, is grace.
Praise the Lord that he pours out his grace upon his children each morning. I try so hard to follow him and fall short. Praise the Lord for his grace stacked upon grace that stacks up so high that it bridges the gap between me & my failures and the righteousness of God.

“For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.” John 1:16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A day in the life

Let the Redeemed of the Lord tell their Story